So I realized I never posted the full scope of what we had to work with in our renovation. Here is the series of snapshots I took the very first time we walked into our new apartment. I’m also including a photo of some rooms once we got them cleaned out. If you get lost, the floorplan is in an old post here. Click any photo for full size.
Welcome to our first place! It’s still full of the previous occupants’ hoarded belongings and needs a lot of work, but it’s in a full service building (with a laundry room! No more carrying 50 lbs of laundry a quarter mile every month!) and it’s in a nice neighborhood. When we walked in, we were stunned by its condition, but once we did the math and realized what good square footage it had, we were sold.
[bathroom. major water damage on all walls and ceiling. rusty tub, outdated/broken fixtures. you can see the extent of the water damage in the bottom picture. thankfully it was all from a previous incident and dry when we got there.]
[windows. once we got all the old belongings cleared out, we realized there was condensation between the panes of glass. the building also required that we replace the window unit air conditioner with a through-the-wall unit (replacing the heater below).]
So there you have it. Obviously the renovation was a necessity. We closed on it in early December, got all our approvals in late February, and finished the bulk of it mid-May. We still have to carpet the bedroom, finish grouting and wallpapering the bathroom, and install the backsplash in the kitchen. Not to mention about a million other smaller jobs. Next post is “finished” photos, I promise!